Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What's Love Got To Do With It?

Matthew 22:36-40
"Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

Romans 13:8-10
"Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law."

1 John 4:7-8
"Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."


Tina Turner is known for singing,"What's love got to do with it? What's love but a second-hand emotion? What's love got to do with it. Who needs a heart when a heart can be broken?" Most of us who know the story of Tina Turner's abusive marriage with Ike Turner compassionately understand the context in which Tina sang these lyrics. However, if we look at the general meaning of the word love, and GOD's intent for us to love each other, we must say that "love" has everything to do with it. The word "love" can be used as a noun or a verb. Merriam-Webster's Dictionary lists one of love's definitions as "an unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another". I believe this is the root of what GOD expects from us, and what JESUS commanded us (John 13:34-35).

There are many aspects to "love" and how it is demonstrated. One area where the LORD has really been dealing with me is loving a person who rejects me. I don't mean loving an enemy, because in that case I can love, forgive and walk away in peace. No my friends, I mean continuing to show love and kindness to a person whom I love dearly while that person continues to say and do things to hurt my feelings. A person I cannot walk away from or abandon. At times I have been so hurt and frustrated feeling totally unappreciated and disrespected by this person; yet I continue to give my heart to them.

My friends have you ever felt like this or been in a similar situation? Well my friends here is where it gets really deep! I have complained about this to GOD on many occasions. One day GOD spoke to my heart and said, "This is how I feel when I show you love and you reject me." Whooooooooooooooooo . . . . that stopped me cold and floored me! Even though JESUS saved me and I felt I had this relationship with GOD I was still rejecting HIM. I was not showing HIM how much I appreciate HIM in my life. I was not allowing HIM to share in my life or include HIM in my day to day activities. I was shutting HIM out only to call on HIM when I was in trouble. Never giving HIM sincere thanks for who HE is and what HE has done for me. This revelation changed my way of thinking, how I love GOD, and others (especially those I love who reject me). Here is what JESUS said . . .

Luke 6:27-36
"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you. "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' love those who love them. And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend to 'sinners,' expecting to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful."


You see my friends, we must continue to love those who hurt us because GOD continues to love us although we hurt HIM. We must forgive and show mercy because GOD forgives us and has mercy on us. It is by no means an easy thing to show love and kindness to someone who you care deeply about only to be rejected by that person. I know from personal experience it is extremely painful and can be a long, difficult process. However in continuing to show love in these situations it is GOD's love that is shining brightly through us. It may look as though the good acts of kindness, care and concern are having no effect, but GOD has promised that it will make a difference.

Galatians 6:9
"Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."


So my friends, we must keep doing the right things and trust GOD's word. Lets keep on showing love even though we are hurt and rejected. When we have those feelings of hurt and rejection, lets remember how GOD feels about us. HE gave HIS son JESUS CHRIST to die on the cross for us and we still reject HIM. That is love my friends! The miracle is that JESUS rose from the dead and lives! This awesome miracle continues to manifest each time we show love in unselfish acts of kindness towards those who reject us. It is easy to love those who love and appreciate us. However when we love those who reject us we are more like JESUS CHRIST. Keep showing love and expect GOD to turn things around for the good. Remember, GOD is love!

I pray these words have been a blessing for you as they are for me (bringing us in closer relationship with our FATHER). Please feel welcome to reply and share your thoughts by posting them here or privately at tp@terrenceparkermusic.com. If this message has touched your heart and you do not know JESUS CHRIST as your Lord & Savior but want HIM in your life you can accept HIM right now wherever you are. Pray this prayer out loud, "Dear GOD, I ask forgiveness for all of my sins. I believe that JESUS CHRIST is your son. I believe that JESUS suffered and died on the cross, was buried, and was resurrected for me. I accept JESUS as my Lord & Savior. Come now and live in my heart. I accept you as head of my life. In the name of JESUS I thank you, Amen."

If you have just prayed this prayer I say to you "GOD bless you and Congratulations"! If you do not have a church home, pray and ask GOD to lead you to a local (Bible believing) church in your area where you can be baptized in JESUS name, fed the Word of GOD, and fellowship with other Christians.

If you have any questions please send an email to: tp@terrenceparkermusic.com

GOD bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment