Thursday, August 11, 2011

Recovering From Life's Dizzy Spells

I recently took my kids to a carnival. At the carnival there was a ride called "Space 3000" in the shape of a space ship (flying saucer). This ride spins around so fast the G-force pins your body against the wall of the ride as you spin. My 9 year old son and I decided to give this ride a try. As we were spinning around, I noticed the guy who was controlling the ride was seated in the very center. Although we were spinning very fast, he was not spinning at all. After finishing the ride, my son and I were both left feeling dizzy. After a few minutes my son was fine and ready to find the next adventurous ride at the carnival. However it took me a bit longer to recover.

Depending on where we are in life, certain things can happen that we may not recover from as quickly or easily as we would like. We should not become frustrated because someone else seems to recover from similar circumstances faster. Perhaps at a different stage in our lives the same circumstances would not have effected us as severely as it might be currently.

Sometimes GOD allows a situation to occur at a later point in our lives because HE knows we would not have properly handled the same circumstances well during an earlier point in life. Although it could be more painful or perhaps cause us more injury, GOD's light gives off rays of wisdom that is more often appreciated with age.

However, it is possible to remain at peace when the world around us is spinning fast (seemingly out of control). In order for us not to be effected by the spin we must center ourselves in GOD just as the man seated in the center of the "Space 3000" ride. There are two interesting points about this man. The 1st point is he was not spinning at all (he was seated in a place of peace). The 2nd point is he was in control of the ride (he made it go faster, slower, started, and stopped). When we center ourselves in GOD, we are in a place of peace. It's like being in the eye of a hurricane storm. The winds are raging all around, but within the eye of that storm it is calm and peaceful. Also, when we center ourselves with GOD we are with the one who is in control of all things. We may not understand the things going on around us or why GOD allows them to happen. However, by centering ourselves in GOD we allow HIS peace to cover us; giving us the wisdom and strength to endure and overcome the spin of life. After all, life on this earth will always be spinning because the earth itself continues to spin.

So how do we center ourselves in GOD? Simply by trusting HIM. By trusting and relying totally on GOD with confidence, we are resting on HIM. It is like choosing to sit in a chair. You trust and rely on the chair being secure enough to hold you. Therefore when you sit, you do so with confidence knowing the chair will hold you. As you sit in the chair, you relax the weight of your body on it firmly. Once you are seated you are able to rest. Likewise we must trust and rely on GOD to hold us. We must sit on GOD with confidence knowing he will hold us. We must relax the weight of our troubles firmly on GOD so that we may be comfortably seated on HIM. GOD has promised through JESUS CHRIST that HE will allow us to rest if we bring our troubles to him.

Matthew 11:28-29
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls."

Psalm 138:7 (NIV)
"Though I walk in the midst of trouble, you preserve my life.
You stretch out your hand against the anger of my foes; with your right hand you save me
."


It is never easy to accept when negative or challenging moments arise in our lives. Sometimes the blessing is not so much in what happened, but when it happened.

1 Thessalonians 5:18 (NIV)
"give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus."


I do not know why children are dying of starvation in Somalia, why riots are happening throughout England, or why a little girl in Detroit is killed while sleeping in her home by a stray bullet shot from outside. GOD is not asking us to be thankful for bad situations. Instead, GOD is asking us to be thankful even while in the bad situation; trusting that HE will not allow it to over take us, but knowing HE will heal & deliver us from it.

My friends, the truth is the world is continues to spin 24 hours each day. Although it seems to be spinning out of control, GOD is most certainly in control. Why GOD allows terrible things to happen in the earth is a great mystery. Though it is true to say GOD has a purpose in all things, these words are not comforting to the father who lost his son during the riots in England who was simply trying to protect his neighborhood. These words are not comforting to the mother of the little girl who was killed in her sleep by a stray bullet. These words are not comforting to anyone who has received bad news or anyone who has suffered a great loss.

So then why should we turn to GOD? Perhaps it is like owning a car made by Ford that has some mechanical trouble. You would not take that Ford car to a Chrysler dealership for service. Instead, it makes sense to return to the original manufacturer. Ford made the car, so they would have the best answer how to resolve the problem. It is the same with our lives. Why do we run to psychics, horoscopes, taro card readers (and others alike), when GOD is the original manufacturer? GOD is the one who created us in HIS likeness. Therefore my friends let us return to the original manufacturer who is GOD our FATHER. Let us center ourselves in GOD. Only HE can help us successfully recover from life's dizzy spells!

I pray these words have been a blessing for you as they are for me (bringing us in closer relationship with our FATHER). Please feel welcome to reply and share your thoughts by posting them here or privately at tp@terrenceparkermusic.com. If this message has touched your heart and you do not know JESUS CHRIST as your Lord & Savior but want HIM in your life you can accept HIM right now wherever you are. Pray this prayer out loud, "Dear GOD, I ask forgiveness for all of my sins. I believe that JESUS CHRIST is your son. I believe that JESUS suffered and died on the cross, was buried, and was resurrected for me. I accept JESUS as my Lord & Savior. Come now and live in my heart. I accept you as head of my life. In the name of JESUS I thank you, Amen."

If you have just prayed this prayer I say to you "GOD bless you and Congratulations"! If you do not have a church home, pray and ask GOD to lead you to a local (Bible believing) church in your area where you can be baptized in JESUS name, fed the Word of GOD, and fellowship with other Christians.

If you have any questions please send an email to: tp@terrenceparkermusic.com

GOD bless you!

1 comment:

  1. TP -
    "Sometimes GOD allows a situation to occur at a later point in our lives because HE knows we would not have properly handled the same circumstances well during an earlier point in life..."
    This was so good. Totally ministered to me! Lately I've been feeling some dizzy spells that resulted in word vomit. I'm in the middle of promotion in my life and the current situation I've been placed in didn't seem fair. From God or man - and in my pride I really felt like I deserved different. I had a pretty bad attitude about the whole thing until God showed me that the reason I was in that situation was 1) He knew that I could handle it over some people 2) To reveal the junk in my heart that was surfaced due to the "inertia" of my problems.
    I finally had a sit down meeting w/ myself and asked God for the Grace to endure it. Part of His grace was leading me to this blog! Thanks!!!!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete